AIA Course #: HAW586; HSW
IDCEC Course #: CC-; HSW
USGBC Course #:
Subject Code: 4. Design Specialties / 11. Healthcare
One Hour Course
To request this CEU delivered in-person or virtually, please contact your A&D Representative.
The Healthier Hospitals Initiative is a call-to-action for an entire industry. It is an invitation for healthcare organizations across the country to join the shift to a more sustainable business model, and a challenge for them to address the health and environmental impacts of their industry. This course will explore the Healthier Hospital Initiative with a focus on interior furnishings. It will investigate the chemicals of concern and potential health implications, as well as provide a real life implementation example of the initiative.
◦ Understand Healthy Hospital Initiative (HHI) furnishing requirements
◦ Take an in depth look at the chemicals HHI seeks to eliminate
◦ Understand the chemical impacts HHI seeks to eliminate
◦ Application of content to real world scenario
1. Introduction/Open Question: how does one create a healthy hospital?
2. Introduce six categories of the HHI structure
3. Review first five categories
4. Deep dive into category six: safe chemicals
5. Review the impact on health and environment of key chemicals
6. Explore a real case study on meeting the chemistry challenge
7. Summary and Conclusion