AIA Course #: HAW576
IDCEC Course #: CC-101060
Subject Code: 2. Interior Design / 4. Furniture Design and Materials
One Hour Course
Wood is a natural product that combines unique variations and characteristics. It is the variations that make each piece of wood furniture a ‘one-of-a-kind’ piece of art. This course explores the origin and history of the development of veneer as a commercial construction material, provides an understanding of veneer’s visual and structural characteristics, and examines the common challenges and pitfalls when using veneer as a material.
◦ Explore the development of veneer as a construction material.
◦ Discuss how the art of veneering has evolved and explore the value gained by today’s technologies.
◦ Identify the five characteristics of veneer and how they are used to create a unique aesthetic.
◦ Discuss challenges and benefits to bring enhanced value to your projects.
1. The development of veneer as a construction material:
◦ Origin of veneer
◦ Differences between lumber and veneer
2. How has veneering evolved and benefited from today’s technologies:
◦ Process of creating veneer
◦ Grain appearance options through processing
3. Using veneer’s characteristics to create a unique aesthetic:
◦ Analyze grain structure
◦ Assorted visual attributes
4. How is value brought to a project when using veneer?
◦ Industry grading and evaluation
◦ Visual appearance through lay up
◦ Reconstituted veneer
5. Challenges and awareness:
6. Summary and conclusions:
◦ Consistency of aesthetic
◦ Value of veneer as a material
◦ Celebration of a natural material
7. Conclusion | Question & Answer